Mailbox: Email with Snooze
I first started using Mailbox in college, and it transformed the way I used email. I’ve never been able to stand 1,000 unread emails in my inbox. I know people who are completely content to leave emails unread, but I can’t deal with it. I’ve tried many different workflows to manage my email, but Mailbox has been my favorite by far.
Purpose & Functionality
Mailbox is an email app for iPhone, iPad & Android with a Mac app currently in beta. Mailbox supports all Gmail, Google Apps & iCloud accounts. (I’m crossing my fingers for Outlook support in the near future.) Although Mailbox has many features, what truly separates it from other email apps is the ability to snooze emails. Snoozing removes the selected email from your inbox for a specified period of time and brings it back when you need it.
The video below shows the app before it was updated for iOS7, but it still gives a good overview of its functionality.
Sorry, Mailbox has removed the video from Vimeo.
Rating: simplicity, usefulness, beauty and necessity
- Simplicity. (9/10) Mailbox simplifies inbox zero with intuitive gestures. It is simply the most productive email client I’ve used.
- Usefulness. (9/10) Mailbox will help you be more productive with your email, and if we’re honest with ourselves, we’ll admit that we all need help with that.
- Beauty. (9/10) Mailbox has a sleek look on iPhone, iPad and Android. It looks good, communicates well and doesn’t distract from its purpose.
- Necessity. (8/10) It’s not necessary, but it’s worth trying. I don’t think you’ll regret it.
- Stickiness. (8/10) Once you get used to snoozing emails until you need them, it will be hard to stop. I find myself trying to snooze emails in Outlook all the time. The lack of Outlook support is the only reason I’ve moved away from Mailbox.
NOTE: If you have Outlook and want to use Mailbox, you can forward your emails to Gmail (using imap or pop). This is what I did in college, but before doing this, check with your school or work. It may violate security policy.
Android & iOS