Calcbot: a Wonderful Calculator for iOS and Mac
Calcbot combines a feature-rich calculator with an easy-to-use converter. Its converter supports "over 500 units across 22 different categories including auto-updating currency rates." (Tapbots)
My favorite Calcbot feature—"history tape"—actually comes from old-school calculators. Remember those calculators that printed as you went? Well Calcbot does the same thing. It keeps a record of your calculations as you work and allows you to reuse the results or the entire expression with just a tap (or click).
For those of us who need a bit more than a basic calculator, Calcbot includes scientific functions.
Rating: simplicity, usefulness, beauty and necessity
- Simplicity. (9/10) Calcbot simplifies calculations and conversions on both Mac and iOS. For what it’s worth, I find myself going to Calcbot instead of googling a conversion.
- Usefulness. (8/10) We all do calculations and conversions every day, and hopefully, we can do most of them in our heads. But for those times we need a little help, Calcbot is there.
- Beauty. (9/10) Calcbot has been designed to fit seamlessly into iOS 8 and Yosemite. Overall, I found it intuitive, and I really enjoy the gestures on iOS.
- Necessity. (7/10) There are countless ways to calculate on our computers, phones and tablets. I typically utilize Alfred for basic calculations and Excel for more complicated stuff. But I’ve found that Calcbot’s “history tape” and conversions really fill a hole that Alfred, Excel and the built-in Calculator app don’t.
- Stickiness. (7/10) As I mentioned above, I really enjoy the functionality and look of Calcbot on both Yosemite and Mac, but if the built-in Calculator app adds some of Calcbot’s features, I’d switch to it right away.