1Password: Better Digital Security
1Password provides a simple and secure solution to the all-too-common problem of forgetting passwords. The best way to be secure on the internet is to create unique and strong passwords for all of your accounts, to remember them without keeping a record anywhere, and to change them on a regular basis. But if you are anything like me, this isn’t feasible.
The typical workarounds are to use easy-to-remember passwords or to write down all of our passwords in a text file or on a piece of paper. The problem with these “solutions” is that they are not secure. In my opinion, 1Password is the most viable solution to personal password security available today (other than a perfect memory).
Purpose & Functionality
1Password generates strong passwords, creates an encrypted vault to keep them in and lets you know when your passwords are beginning to age and need to be changed. 1Password is available for PC, Mac, Android and iOS. They also provide browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera that make creating and using new passwords even easier. Watch the video above for a better understand of how 1Password can help you keep your digital life secure.
Rating: simplicity, usefulness, beauty and necessity
- Simplicity. (9/10) 1Password works flawlessly on every device. I personally use it on PC, Mac, iPhone and iPad.
- Usefulness. (10/10) This is an incredibly useful tool. For those of you using iOS 8, 1Password recently made some helpful updates to their iPhone app—Touch ID and Safari extension support. This makes it even more useful on my phone.
- Beauty. (8/10) 1Password looks good. I particularly like that they keep the design and user experience consistent across devices.
- Necessity. (9/10) Unless you create unique high-difficulty passwords for all of your accounts, change them often, and always remember them, I’d suggest trying out 1Password. It has become a necessary part of my life.
- Stickiness. (10/10) I don’t see myself transitioning away from 1Password anytime soon.
I’ve had a wonderful experience with 1Password, but I have heard really good things about Lastpass and others as well. I’ve listed a few alternatives that I know about below.
How do you keep track of your passwords? Do you use 1Password, another app, paper or your brain? I’d love to hear from you.
You can download 1Password for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. For download links and information about bundled pricing visit the 1Password website. There are also free extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera.
Header image from Pexels